History of the building of First Baptist Church
On December 14, 1834, a group of people met in the home of George Baker and organized a Baptist Church. For many years it was the only church in the area, and was held in the homes of various members scattered across the great rural area. The work grew slowly until the oil boom of the 1870's, and by 1880 the church had grown to over a hundred members.
At this time it was decided that a permanent place of worship was needed and the following year the first service was held in its new building at the corner of Congress and Corydon streets. During this year, the church was incorporated as the First Baptist Church of Bradford. The church continued to grow rapidly, and began to raise funds for a larger building in the 1930's. The cornerstone for the new church at 71 Congress St. was laid November 6, 1940. On June 1, 1941, the first service was held in the new building, where the church has been located since.